Healthy Westford Committee
To support the community members of Westford in improving their personal health and safety and that of their households, public spaces, and ecosystems.
The Healthy Community Committee works with a combination of town departments, boards and committees to investigate ways to promote Westford as a healthy community through policies, programs, and infrastructure planning.
Organizations that have been identified as potential partners to the committee:
Healthy Eating :
- Has links to sources such as the National Institute of Health
- Clinical trials for both vegans and vegetarians
- Journal articles for risks of eating meats and cardiology problems associated with meat eaters
USDA National Agriculture Library: https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/vegetarian-nutrition
- Links to “MyPlate” tips for vegetarians
- Links to MedlinePlus, USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and promotion, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetic, Mayo Foundation, Vegetarian Resource Group
- There are also some links on this to places outside the US such as the UK
Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines
- Show that a sustainable diet is a plant based diet
- These guidelines were used to create the current dietary guidelines for the US
Research articles (peer reviewed scientific papers)
- Plant-Based Diets Are Associated With a Lower Risk of Incident Cardiovascular Disease, Cardiovascular Disease Mortality, and All-Cause Mortality in a General Population of Middle-Aged Adults: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/JAHA.119.012865
- Effectiveness of plant-based diets in promoting well-being in the management of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review: https://drc.bmj.com/content/bmjdrc/6/1/e000534.full.pdf
- A Low-Fat Vegan Diet Improves Glycemic Control and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in a Randomized Clinical Trial in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes: https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/8/1777.full-text.pdf
Healthy eating recipe websites (not scientifically approved, websites that I use for recipes)
- Plant based:
- Clean ingredient focused (no carcinogens, added sugars, etc.)
The Healthy Yard A lush green lawn is beautiful to behold but beware the toxic chemicals and fertilizers that end up going into our environment and bodies. It makes sense to be careful and consider alternatives for healthy yards. Use organic methods for lawn and yard maintenance. Try alternatives to just grass. We have compiled a list of articles to peruse. These web sites are for informational purposes only – we are not promoting or endorsing any commercial or advocacy content. We hope you find these links helpful. Enjoy the growing season in good health.
10 Low Maintenance Lawn Alternatives https://richsoil.com/lawn-care.jsp https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-04/documents/greenscaping_-_the_easy_way_to_a_greener_healthier_yard.pdf https://elemental.green/10-low-maintenance-lawn-alternatives/ https://learn.eartheasy.com/guides/natural-lawn-care/
Caution: Impact of Fertilizers with Suggestions https://www.mass.gov/guides/lawns-and-landscapes-in-your-watershed https://www.pca.state.mn.us/water/15-ways-reduce-nutrients-lakes-and-streams http://www.uvm.edu/~vlrs/doc/lawnfert.htm https://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/sources-and-solutions-agriculture https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fertilizer-runoff-overwhelms-streams/
Caution: Impact of Pesticides with Suggestions https://www.epa.gov/pesticides https://ephtracking.cdc.gov/showPesticidesHealth http://www.water.usgs.gov/edu/pesticidesgw.html http://npic.orst.edu/health/pets.html
A lawn can look completely dead and then come back to life as soon as it starts to rain again.
A lawn can be beautiful with dandelions, clover and other flowering plants. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
|Kathleen Lynchfirstname.lastname@example.org||Vice Chair|
|Katherine Russellemail@example.com||Council on Aging Representative|
|Jeff Stephensfirstname.lastname@example.org||Health Department Representative|
|Don Galyaemail@example.com||Pedestrian Safety Committee Representative|
|Sean Kellyfirstname.lastname@example.org||School Committee Representative|
|Will Darlingemail@example.com||Alternate Member|