- Boards & Committees A - D
- Affordable Housing Trust
Affordable Housing Trust
- 7 p.m.
- 1st Wednesday of Each Month
- Westford Housing Authority Community Room
65 Tadmuck Road
Westford, MA 01886
Agendas and Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agenda
View all meeting minutes
Housing, whether rented or owned, at any income level is considered affordable when housing costs are at or below 30% of a household’s gross income. The challenge for household’s earning less than 80% of the area median income is finding safe and suitable housing given market prices. For these households, there are federal and state programs that subsidize housing.
The Affordable Housing Trust leads the effort to ensure that Westford meets the Commonwealth’s goal of having 10% of its housing stock in subsidized housing. The work of the Trust includes siting of affordable housing, tracking projects through to completion, providing emergency funding to low-income renters, and providing funds to singular affordable housing projects.
- To ensure Westford maintains a Subsidized Housing Inventory (SHI) consistent with Commonwealth of Massachusetts goals. To that end, the Trust seeks and advocates for housing opportunities for those with family income less than 80% of the area median income (AMI).
- To advocate for housing opportunities consistent with the State’s “Housing First” priority, the Trust seeks and advocates for housing opportunities for those with income between 80%-120% of Area Median Income called “workforce housing.”
- To diversify the types of affordable housing for a variety of tenants and owners including but not limited to young adults and families, aging seniors, and large families.
- To encourage the siting of future affordable housing in areas with good access to community services and Town infrastructure.
- To raise awareness throughout the Town of the need and benefits of these housing opportunities.
- To support the goals defined in the Housing Production Plan.