Animal Control Department

Westford Animal Control Officers provide service to Westford residents. The Animal Control Officer is the local animal care and control professional. This person helps the public deal with problems caused by animals. This person also works with other local agencies, such as social services and law enforcement, to protect all members of families, both 2-legged and 4-legged.

How to Help the Department

The Animal Control Department is available to respond to situations involving wild and domestic animals. Duties include enforcement of state and local laws regarding animals, including enforcement of the leash law. Complaints regarding animals and animal cruelty are investigated by the Animal Control Officer. The Animal Control Department operates the town kennel and deals with the placement of unclaimed dogs. Dead animals on public ways are also handled by the Animal Control Officer. Here are a few ways you can help your local Animal Control program help people and animals:
  • Provide for your pet's safety. Keep a collar and identification tags on your pet at all times and ensure that your pet is always properly supervised or safely confined when you're not home.
  • Spay or neuter you pet and keep him or her current on all necessary vaccinations, especially the vaccination for rabies
  • Urge officials to take crimes against animals seriously and to advance pro-animal legislation. Support efforts to enact and enforce pro-animal ordinances.
  • Support your local Animal Control program. We need funds to serve the community effectively, to train and equip our staff, and to secure vehicles to transport animals safely and comfortably. We can't fulfill our mission without your help.

Westford Leash Law

A 24 hour Leash Law is in effect in the town of Westford. Dogs found off their property will be picked up and taken to the dog kennel on Beacon Street. A $25 fine will be charged for the 1st offense, $50 fine for the 2nd offense, and $75 fine for the third offense, $100 subsequent, $15 per day if dog is picked up. For help call the kennel 978-692-4574 or for emergency call Westford Police.

Livestock, Farm Animals

If you have any livestock, farm animals, or poultry on your property please notify Animal Control. This notification is necessary because annual State animal inspections are required. Additionally, the town periodically sends out health notices, and will benefit from a current list of owners. This information will also assist with the process of returning lost animals.

Note: The general public is warned against handling wild animals. If you are bitten, contact your physician and the Animal Control Officer.