Westford Recycling Commission (WRC)
Electronics & More Event on September 25
This next event will be held on Saturday, September 25, 2021 at the Westford Highway Garage at 28 North Street, Westford, MA. Most items can be dropped off for free but certain items (e.g. TVs & Monitors) require a fee. Please click HERE for full details.
Please note that this event is FOR WESTFORD RESIDENTS ONLY.
This week's trash and recycling pick-up are on a NORMAL schedule. Check the icon on the upper right to see if it's a blue or green week (you can confirm which week applies to your street HERE). See the schedule for the year in our FY2022 Recycling Guide.
Please Note: Trash and recycling holidays for the period July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022 are listed below. Your Trash and Recycling are DELAYED on the following holiday weeks:
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving (Thursday/Friday only)
- Memorial Day
Other FY2022 Recycling Events
Brush Chipping on October 2
When: Saturday, October 2, 2021, 10:30 am – 4:30 pm
Location: Westford Highway Garage, 28 North Street
Important Covid-19 protocol: Residents are required to wear masks and social distance. Please unload your brush as directed by the Highway Department personnel. Deposit your $10 check, payable to the Town of Westford, in the marked container.
Proof of Westford residency required.
Accepted: Brush and branches up to 3 inches in diameter and 10 feet in length. Must be average residential brush categories and reasonable amounts: A load ranges from a trunk to pickup truck volume, includes tow behind a full trailer.
Not accepted: Building materials (e.g., fences, boards), land clearing materials and debris (e.g., roots, bushes, anything mixed with poison ivy), grass, and leaves.
Cost: $10 per load, checks only, payable to the Town of Westford, deposited in the marked container.
Shredding Event on October 2
When: October 2, 2021, 9 am - 12 noon
Location: 160 Littleton Rd., "Westford Valley Marketplace" parking lot
Held by the Rotary Club of Westford. Documents are shredded safely and securely on site. $10 per banker box (cash or check). Boxes are returned for personal recycling.
Next events are currently scheduled as follows::
- Electronics & More: April 30, 2022
- Brush Chipping: April 23, 2022
- Hazardous Household Waste: May 14, 2022
"Bags to Benches" Challenge has returned (until Nov 15)!
The Westford Rotary Club is once again collecting PLASTIC BAGS and WRAPS to participate in the Recycling Challenge by TREX. The collection goal is 500 pounds. Trex Outdoor Furniture will turn the collected plastic into a bench that will be placed at a location in Westford. Westford saves money by keeping plastics out of the trash.
Westford Drop Off locations for plastic bags and wraps (PLEASE USE WESTFORD ROTARY TREX BOXES ONLY):
- Roudenbush Community Center, 65 Main St. (side door).
- Brookside Convenience Store, 64 Brookside Rd. (inside store).
- Cameron Senior Center, 20 Pleasant St. (front porch).
Items to collect for the Bags to Benches Challenge include:
- Single use plastic grocery bags
- Bread bags
- Plastic overwrap for toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, and diapers
- Plastic overwrap on bulk items in cases (ex: water bottles, snacks)
- Plastic retail bags (with hard plastic and string handles removed)
- Clean, dry plastic food storage bags (ex: Ziploc bags)
- Polyethylene film labeled #2 or #4
- Stretch wrap
- Produce bags
- Dry cleaning bags
- Newspaper sleeves and bags
- Plastic cereal box liners
- Plastic shipping envelopes, bubble wrap, and air pillows (deflate, remove labels)
The WRC Reduce Reuse Recycle Declutter Facebook Challenge Starts Labor Day
The WRC Reduce Reuse Recycle Declutter Event starts September 6. Join us in a month long Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Declutter event. Together we will attack several areas of our homes that contain the most clutter. This can be a great way to encourage each other and give tips on Reducing, Reusing and Recycling items in that area. Click below to access the WRC Facebook page.
Want to compost?
At the recent Town Meeting, voters approved the FY2021-22 Town of Westford operating budget which included a 9%(!) increase in trash costs. These higher costs are driven by increasing amounts of waste and also the increasing cost to dispose of the waste. The good news is that we don't have to spend the full amount that was appropriated if we can divert our trash away from our waste stream by reducing, reusing and recycling. Another powerful lever to reduce our trash costs is to compost organic material --- organic material can represent up to 20% of the weight of our trash suggesting this is a powerful to reduce Westford's trash.
Interested in learning more? Click HERE to learn more about composting.
We'll also have Earth Machines composters for only $25. Call Denise Seyffert at 978-692-6986 to arrange for payment and delivery.
Recycling Plastic Bags
Reminder: Plastic bags should not be placed in curbside recycling so please read on to see options for recycling plastic bags
More information can be found HERE including a video prepared by the Westford Recycling Commission help you identify what bags are accepted.
Questions or Problems:
Issues with trash, please call: ACME Waste Systems (781) 935-6339: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Issues with recycling, please call: Waste Management at 1-800-972-4545: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
Please call the phone number(s) listed above for any issues with trash or recycling. If your issue is not resolved within 24 hours, you may contact the Town Manager’s Office at (978) 692-5501, ext. 1.
- Trash barrel 35 gallon max size, limit 3 barrels - if your current barrels are larger than 35 gallons, you do not need to purchase new barrels but the maximum allowed is 105 gallons (or 3 x 35 gallons). When replacing your trash barrels, please buy a barrel no larger than 35 gallons.
- You can also you plastic garbage bags in lieu of barrels.
- If there are recyclables in your trash and/or there is no recycling container out on your recycling day, the trash hauler will not pick up the trash.
- Please do not put plastic bags in recycling bins or toters, or recycle items in plastic bags as these bags will jam the recycling sorting machines. (Both Market Basket and Donelan's are now accepting plastic bags for recycling).
Recycling with our vendor, Waste Management
Both residential and municipal recycling in Westford are picked up by Waste Management. Please review the following information for our best practices in making our recycling program successful:
- Recycling in plastic bags will be rejected. PLEASE NO PLASTIC BAGS.
- Please rinse and clean any glass, plastic or metal containers as best as possible.
- Recycling and trash must be at the curb no later than 7 a.m. for pick up.
- Recycling and trash pickups may be delayed by 1 day, see the holiday schedule above for specific dates.
- Recycling and trash must be separated (either side of the driveway is best) and clearly marked.
- Cardboard must be flattened and cut into sizes no greater than 3' x 3', placed in a container or box. If it doesn't fit, it may be bundled with tap or string, set next to the toters.
- Please continue to use existing yellow and black toters (owned by the Town) and other acceptable recycling bins and toters.
Westford Plastic Bag Reduction Program
Please note that Westford’s plastic bag reduction program goes into effect on January 1, 2019 and has been reinstated (after being suspending during the height of the pandemic). For more information, please contact the Westford Board of Health at (978) 692-5509.
Policy & Useful Tips
- Recycling & Trash Pick-up Policy (PDF)
- How to Use Your Recycling Guide (PDF)
- Home Composting (PDF)
- Westford Litter League Green Team
- How to Recycle Most Everything (PDF)
- How to Reduce Your Waste
- Useful Recycling Tips
- Recycling in Westford New Tips and Reminders
- Recycling Information and Enforcement Policy FAQ