What is GIS?
A Geographic Information System (GIS) is a software-based information management tool that Westford uses to help organize, maintain, and analyze geographic-based information. GIS gives the Town ability to link geographic information to Town databases and use the data to make departments more efficient so that they can provide better customer service. This "on-demand" access to geographically linked data improves decision making capabilities at all levels of government.
Have questions or comments about Westford GIS? Use the GIS feedback form.
GIS in Westford
Westford has been using GIS since 1999 and maintaining various datasets including parcels, buildings, roads, zoning, conservation areas, utility systems, and more. GIS applications are installed in workstations in many departments in Town, such as Engineering, Water, Planning, Recreation, Town Clerk and Fire Department. There is also a mobile version of GIS used in Town vehicles. This mobile version displays landbase information overlayed with utility information and utilizes GPS navigation.
In the spring of 2005, the Town contracted a flyover to take aerial photographs which provided high resolution orthophotos and a full set of landbase feature layers (also called planimetrics). To view some of the Towns data layers click below on the link to Westford's Online GIS Viewer. In the Spring of 2007 the town contracted for an aerial photo update. In the Winter of 2008 the town partnered with other towns in the region through NMCOG to purchase a regional aerial photograph which included oblique imagery such as what is seed in the "Birds-Eye" view in BingMaps.
Use our online parcel lookup tool as a fast way to access multiple town databases:
- GIS Parcel Map
- Permitting Information
- View Assessor Cards
- Identify features and view information on those features
- Print maps and data
- Query parcels to find abutters by specified distances
- Search by Parcel ID, address, or owner
- View Assessors information about a selected parcel
- View parcels, roads, street names, etc.
The mission of the Town of Westford GIS Department is to promote, and develop a geographic information system resource for local decision makers and the general public. In pursuing its mission, the GIS must be designed to:
- Provide user-friendly, public access to GIS data.
- Provide robust user applications for town staff.
- Improve efficiency in government by utilizing the common spatial elements that link the business processes of departments.
- Maintain data in compliance with state and federal standards and compatible with other GIS in the region.
- Continually improve applications and data and thriftily evolve with the advances in technology.
- Protect sensitive information that needs to be secure for privacy or public safety reasons.
Town of Westford
Public Record Response - Disclaimer
Pursuant to M.G.L. Chapter 66, §10, the Town of Westford hereby produces the following information: GIS Data Information - Mapping System.
In maintaining its GIS Data, the Town of Westford has made every effort to ensure the accuracy, currency and reliability of the content thereof however, errors can occur. It is expressly understood and agreed that in producing this information, the Town of Westford, its officials, agents, servants and employees does not warrant or guarantee the information it has provided, nor does it accept responsibility for any errors contained therein. In no event will the Town of Westford, its officials, agents, servants and employees be deemed or held obligated, liable, or accountable for any loss or damage incurred or resulting from the use of the information provided.